Monday, June 16, 2014

How now, Claire Tow.



I promised I'd reserve judgement on the Claire Tow Theatre, the experimental lab and off-off-Broadway space that is perched atop Eero Saarinen's glass and marbled temple of serenity called Lincoln Center Theatre, until it was finished. I was wary, I'll be honest. One doesn't improve Saarinen, who gave us the perfection of the St. Louis Arch.

I am happy to report however my hearty support for Hugh Hardy's somewhat industrial-looking rooftop space, a space of tubes and wood and of all things, grass, as though this was the very human spot of simple materials that gave birth to the art that might eventually be enshrined in the marble down below. In one building now exists a Broadway, an off-Broadway, and an off-off-Broadway theatre and given one routinely pays one- to three-hundred dollars for a ticket in the other major spaces at Lincoln Center, the $20.00 tickets at the Claire Tow do much to further the recent mandate by he artistic community to make all arts in NYC more egalitarian and accessible.

Lincoln Center is one of my favorite places in the world. And it just got even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment